How to Download Microsoft Word for Free
To be honest, there is no unlimited free version of Microsoft Word, and anyone who is offering you a free copy is either trying to trick you or will give you a pirated version.
However, you can download Microsoft 365 and get Word free for 30 days. Then decide if you want to purchase a subscription, that includes all the essential Microsoft 365 apps.
I’ll also show you how you can get a limited version of Microsoft Word 100% free without downloading any software.
How to Download Word (Microsoft 365) for Free
- Click the Download button on the sidebar, and a new page will open with some helpful FAQs for Microsoft 365. Click on the Download Now button.
- Click the Try Free for 1 Month link.
- Click the Sign Up Free button.
- You will need to log in or create a new free Microsoft account. Take note; the free trial is only available for new customers. So, if you’ve previously purchased a subscription, even to an older version of Office, it won’t let you continue to the download section. The way around this is to create a new Microsoft account. It only takes a minute – enter a valid email address, new password, and confirm the email by entering the verification code you received in your email.
- Even though it’s a free trial, you will need to enter your credit card information. Click the Next button to proceed to the secure payment page.
- Choose your payment method. The options are Credit Card or Debit Card, PayPal, or Mobile Phone.
- Enter your payment information and click the Save button.
- Press the Subscribe button.
- After your subscription is confirmed, click the Continue button.
- Click the Download the Desktop Apps button, and your Microsoft account page will open in a new tab.
- Click Install Office, and the OfficeSetup.EXE file will download to your computer.
- When the download is complete, open the file, and Microsoft will automatically install the entire collection of Microsoft 365 apps to your computer.
Word (Microsoft 365) Overview
The gold standard of word processors, Microsoft Word has maintained its position as the best word processor for over 20 years. It comes with several hundred fonts, and if you can’t find the one you want, you can easily download and install it in the Microsoft 365 font folders.
Some other features are:
- Spell check
- Grammar check
- Easy to use formatting options
- Choose from thousands of templates
- Compatible with other Microsoft 365 apps
- Save to the cloud with OneDrive Access
The program is very easy to use, so you can create, organize, and design professional-looking documents with no real prior knowledge. And what you see on the screen is what you’ll get when you print or present the document. When you’re done you can save the work to your cloud-based OneDrive account, save as a PDF, or keep it as an editable word document.
How to Get Microsoft Word for Free
Microsoft does have a free version of Word (and all their other Microsoft 365 products) that you can use without having to download any software. While it is lacking some of the features of the software, it can certainly get the job done.
- Go to Office.com.
- Sign in with your Microsoft account or create a free account.
- Click on the Word icon to begin.
How to Uninstall Word
If you decide that Word isn’t for you, or your free month trial is up and you want to uninstall the program, just follow these 3 steps.
- Open the Add or Remove Programs from the system settings.
- Scroll down until you see Microsoft 365
- Click UNINSTALL.
This will uninstall the entire Microsoft 365 suite of apps. When it is completed you will need to restart your computer.
Additional Microsoft 365 Apps
Microsoft 365 comes with a large collection of important apps for computers and mobile devices. Here are just a few that you’ll get at no extra cost:
- Excel: Easily one of the most complete spreadsheet apps, Excel is a must-have program for anyone looking to organize data. Whether it’s a simple list or tracking invoices for a multinational company and everything in between Excel will keep you organized. There are hundreds of functions, formulas, pivot tables, and more that allow you to track the data and in an easy-to-read manner.
- PowerPoint: This presentation tool has seen a big improvement over the past few years. Create personal or professional presentations by choosing from hundreds of templates or customizing one yourself. You can incorporate images, videos, gifs, cool transitions, and text into every slide.
- Outlook: It’s more than just an email program. Outlook has a calendar that easily syncs with colleagues, makes it easy to set meeting times, time management tools, and allows you to schedule when emails should be sent.
Can I download Word without Microsoft 365?
No, Word is part of the Microsoft 365 suite, the different programs are not sold separately. This way you’ll get all the essential productivity tools you need in one package, and if you follow the steps above I’ll show you how to get it free for 30-days.
Is there a free version of Word?
Microsoft does have a free online version of Word that can be accessed at Office.com.
Is Word safe?
As long as you download the file from Microsoft, it’s 100% safe. If you download from a 3rd party or torrent site, it may contain malware or viruses in the installer.
Where will Word be installed on my computer?
During the installation process you will have to choose a destination folder. The default location is typically in your C: folder. It will also add an icon in your Start menu for quick access.
How do I cancel my Word subscription?
To cancel your account before the 30-day free trial ends and your credit card gets charged you will have to go to log in to your Microsoft account and turn off recurring payments. You will still have access to the program until the end of the billing cycle.Visit Microsoft Word Website